We used to despise everything about casinos; the stinky smoke, slot machine granny zombies, throwing money at games of chance, and because the house always wins.
I always wondered why fellow frugal road trippers Sean and Louise stay and dine at casinos around the country.
Other than the large parking lots that can accommodate their magic bus, why would they actually go inside, when, like us, they’re rarely willing to pay for campsites? What could possibly lure them in?
Why Try Casino Camping?
- Lots of casinos have dedicated RV parking
- Multi-night stays are often fine
- Unhitching is tolerated at many places
- Parking lots are usually well-lit and patrolled by security
- Most have restaurant discounts if you join their “Player’s Club”
We never thought we would surrender our IDs to a casino to join their stupid gambling discount club (did I tell you IÂ hate gambling?).
But when we stopped at Morongo recently, we were hungry and didn’t feel like cooking. Eating out is a rare treat for us, but Morongo has several eateries including a good lookin’ buffet restaurant.
The normal price to eat-till-you-puke at Morongo’s buffet is $15. Join their Winner’s Club andÂ you can get one $10 voucher per person toward dining or gambling (guess what we chose), plus another $4 off your meal total each time you dine there. We ended up paying $6 for an all-you-can-eat orgy! Six bucks!
All casinos have some kind of discount club to keep the gambling junkies coming back for more. Although you’ll need to hand over your ID and allow them to cram your mailbox full of stupid promotions, you’re bound to get some free meals and overnight spots in return. It’s a win-win for everyone!
Casino Camping Tips
- Ask security. Find the guy on patrol and ask if it’s OK to park there, where you should park and for how long.
- No setting up camp. That means your generator stays off, your jacks remain up, your awning’s rolled in and your crap stays inside.
- Keep it neater than you found it. Don’t dump your trash there, save it for the gas station that’s ripping you off at $4.50 a gallon.
- Give them some of your cash. Gambling’s stupid in my book but it’s your choice. There are other ways to thank the casino, like dining inside or even just having a beer at the bar. Remember, join their Player’s Club to save tons!
- And if you win big because you tried casino camping as a result of this post, send some our way!
I’ll never bash casinos again, we’re hooked on casino camping! From now on, if we have a choice between a WalMart or a casino with a restaurant, guess where you’ll find us?