When I first wrote about our Pullrite Superglide, we had just picked up our trailer and I wanted to share a video justifying the added expense of this auto-sliding fifth wheel hitch. I am happy to report that more than five years and 75,000+ miles later we are still completely satisfied with our purchase.
And, I have another video to share.
Auto-Slide Fifth Wheel Hitch Overview
We submitted this quick video tip for the RV Travel Newsletter, and it first appeared in the RV Daily Tips Issue #47 on January 29, 2013.
In just over a minute I explain how our auto-sliding fifth wheel hitch works, discuss its benefits and provide some advice for proper maintenance. Enjoy!
Stay tuned for more of our quick RVing tip videos coming soon. Check out the RV Travel back issues for more short informative videos, or subscribe to RV Travel Newsletters for daily tips delivered right to your inbox.
Pullrite Superglide Fifth Wheel Hitch Maintenance
To protect the investment in your auto-sliding fifth wheel tips, consider these hitch maintenance tips. If you have questions or others advice to share, please leave a comment below.
- Visually inspect your hitch and lubricate the way tubes every time before you connect to your trailer.
- Use white lithium grease or graphite spray to lubricate the tubes.
- Do not lubricate the top plate with silicon spray or use a lube disc.
- Remove the top plate and inspect all hitch components at least monthly.
- Always back into and connect to your trailer very slowly.
- Do not connect to your trailer at an angle greater than 10°.
- Ensure that the trailer kingpin is not too high when hitching up to prevent damage to the latch mechanism.
- Keep your hitch clear of debris and dust to avoid pitting of way tubes.
- Clean, lubricate and cover your hitch when not in use to protect it from debris or snow.
- Do not use plastic to cover your hitch, as it will not breathe and may promote rust.
- Only use an official PullRite Superglide Hitch Cover, canvas or an old sheet to cover your hitch.
- When removing the hitch from your truck, cover the mounting holes to prevent them from filling with debris.
If you are considering an auto-slide hitch for your fifth wheel trailer, we highly recommend the Pullrite SuperGlide. If you are in the market for a hitch, or shopping for accessories, check for Pullrite deals on Amazon first.