Yesterday, I forgot what day of the week it was. I honestly couldn’t remember if it was my birth DAY or not! Or maybe I was in denial. But once I realized that it was the 8th, and I was another year wiser, I committed to celebrating the big day.
So, we indulged on awesome grub. On my birthday, I was going to eat and drink whatever I wanted and enjoy it without guilt! We were in Wisconsin, so what else could we eat, but dairy! Lots of it!
First we stopped in a tiny no-name town in Wisconsin, just south of Superior, and had;
- Home made Rubarb Pie a la mode for breakfast
The service at this little cafe was lackluster, but the pie was 100% home made and simply excellent. The crust was not flaky, but doughy, which I liked. Although the pie could’ve been warmed up a little, overall, it was the most home made desert I’ve had on the road.
Then, in New Richmond, WI, we ate at The Old Saloon
- Fried cheese curds, onion rings and fries for appetizers (monochromatic coloring made it a little too “beige,” but the freshly fried bar food is the best!)
- Wisconsin microbrew beer (excellent! a close second to West Coast microbrew)
- Home made cheese tortellini (no really, home made, we checked. the cheese inside was SO fresh!)
- and finally, the richest, most fattening ice cream ever. Two scoops; cotton candy, and cake batter with chocolate frosting. If you’ve never had real, home made ice cream before, you have no idea what your missing. This was home made, and the milk came from cows that were probably just down the road. It was heavenly. The flavors were so realistic too, almost verging on psychedelic. I ate it slowly to make it last, it was that good.
Now that, was a birthday celebration to remember!